Monday, September 3, 2007

I know how to reason, i think...

I think, in general, Pierce's thoughts were correct, but I also think there are some flaws in his logic. When he discusses the photo of a zebra, he claims he could believe it to be "disagreeable" due to its physical likeness to a donkey. First, being an avid Animal Planet viewer, I do not believe a zebra to look like a donkey at all. Second, what if you do think a zebra looks like a donkey, but you happen to love donkeys and know them to be quite agreeable creatures? So in this claim, I think his arguement to be very subjective. I do like most of his examples, (though his descriptions of the 3 states of mind seem to resemble Newton's 3 laws), and I think the one regarding the richest man's house is a valid argument, also with the maps, they both mean nothing without some relative, familiar point. The final example of man being composed of living tissue seems a little under-developed, and didn't really do it for me.

No comments: