Tuesday, October 23, 2007

GORKY

This movie is one that I was surprised I had never heard of before. What I immediately wondered was why they didn't make the movie within the film. It seems the purpose of the film was to convey they disgusting events that occurred to provoke a desired response. Since there were 3 different stories going on outside the film about the genocide, it felt as if they led the viewer off track. I realize they all tie in well, and I did enjoy the story, but the most powerful images and messages all come from the genocide. I had only heard of Gorky before, not knowing his work or the story behind it, but he seems like a depressing character. Living through the what he did in Turkey (though I don't know if they just tied him in to their film, regardless of fact), but between the genocide and his suicide the only happy moment in his life seemed to be the 30 seconds of dancing he did in his studio. What I can't stand is how Turkey can deny something like this ever happened. As horrific as these events were, I can see no downfall to admitting they occurred. One part of the movie that was basically the critical point in making it a good film or an okay one is when the old customs agent let the main character go. He found the drugs, but since the main character did not believe he was capable of being a smuggler he was released. I'm not sure exactly why I like this scene beside the fact that I believed that he didn't intentionally bring in the drugs. Maybe I am attracted to the idea that what you think you're capable of is inaccurate. The key to maintaining your capabilities is through ignorance.

No comments: